HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
All of us here on the farm wish everyone a safe, healthy and happy new year. Hopefully 2021 won't be a repeat of 2020.
I don't do resolutions but goals instead. My goals for this year is tending to my garden better, trimming hoofs in a timely manner, finish some project that need to be done, do more canning and getting my strength and muscles back. What goals do you have?
I made some star bread this week. It was a new bread for me. It didn't turn out too bad and tasted great. I still need to do better at pinching the tips. I had several request for the recipe. So here it is.
2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Butter softened
1 cup Warm Milk
2 tsp Yeast
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, add in the milk, yeast and sugar. Give it a stir. Next in goes the softened butter and mix again.
- Add the flour and salt little at a time
- Knead the dough for around 15 mins until it is soft and elastic. If using a stand mixer simply knead for 5 mins.
- Oil a bowl and place the dough, cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough.
- Divide evenly into four portions.
- Roll out one portion into a 10" circle while keeping the rest covered to prevent it from drying.
- Place the circle on a greased or parchment line baking sheet
- Spread butter then brown sugar, cinnamon mixture
- Roll the next portion into 10" inch circle and place it on top of the filling layer.
- Repeat the steps until you reach the bare top and you will have 4 layers of circles with 3 layers of filling.
- Take a small cup or cookie cutter and lay in it the center of the dough.. This is the center of the star.
- Make 4 cuts in the circle.
- Cut slits until you have 16 sections
- Twist the adjacent two sections outwards twice and pinch the edges to seal together.
- Cover with a cloth and allow it for second proofing - 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. After the second proofing, if you find that the bread has lost some shape then again seal the edges first then brush the bread with some milk and bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown and baked through.
Other filling suggestions
- Garlic butter
- Herb butter
- Cream cheese and onion
- Apple butter
- Mini chocolate chips